a blog of painting, abstraction, and contemporary art
Random header image... Refresh for more!

The financial monster

Worry about debt keeps me stuck, and is emotionally draining. It keeps me out of the studio and I hide out watching tv or playing minecraft instead of drawing painting shooting photos or anything creative.

I’d love to hear people’s thoughts about how they manage or overcome their worries. How do you get yourself into the studio or out into the world?

No tag for this post.

8 comments

1 amy { 08.22.11 at 5:31 pm }

Me too. I hate it, but I never sell any work, so I don’t feel like I’m contributing anything.

2 Anna { 08.22.11 at 5:37 pm }

Well, You need to take baby steps. Set small daily goals for yourself. If you still find yourself stuck, then take a vacation from your problems and maybe get a pet goldfish.

3 Deanerbop { 08.22.11 at 5:42 pm }

Honestly, the best thing to do, is to get up the nerve and cut your compy’s powercord. once that’s done, you are forced to go out into the world to replace it. get some friends to go with you and adventure ensues. we all have crippling fears and worries that, if we let them, can make us play minecraft and watch old seasons of Dexter over and over again.
Good Luck!

4 madey { 08.22.11 at 5:47 pm }

dont stay inside. its probably the least inspiring place i know of.
just go out and do.

5 William { 08.22.11 at 6:00 pm }

Well, for starters: stop worrying :) Worrying will only bring more fear doubt, and ultimately: debt – this a vicious downward spiral. Focus your thoughts on abundance and feel yourself living a life free of debt and worry. These thoughts will eventually bring that life into fruition. Focus on what makes you happy. Get outside, exercise, go on a hike, find inspiration. TV and video games are hindering the creative spirit. Only you have the power to bring the changes you seek into your life.

6 Gordon Fraser { 08.22.11 at 10:18 pm }

Lately, I’ve been using the “force myself into the studio method” where I make myself go into the studio, even if only for 10 or 15 min just to sit there, and stare, read, write, listen to music. Anything but staying in the apt. Tonight it actually worked, I went down there, telling myself it was only for 10 min, I brought a book of Guston’s work with me to thumb through. After a minute or two I put down the book, pulled out a sheet of paper and started scribbling. Felt good.

Now if the same thing worked all the time that would be great but….a while back it was bicycling or jogging, often times it’s some sort of meditation. Some combination of trial and error eventually breaks through my stubborn resistance.

7 Sheila { 09.14.11 at 12:32 am }

I’ve been struggling struggling struggling with this one piece. Whenever I get stuck I watch this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hqZAxLqJkzA It is like a supercharged power pack to get me moving again. I also find taking a completed painting that has always bothered me and painting over it helps a great deal. It gives me the illusion of control and power…just as worry is an illusion as well. As I wrote just the other day, I’m such a good worrier I sometimes mistake it for actual work. Great blog btw!

8 Gordon Fraser { 09.14.11 at 12:26 pm }